There are many misconceptions about SEO, so it’s important to have a good understanding of the basics.
The first misconception is that SEO is just for businesses that want to rank highly on Google. This isn’t true. Locksmiths are in the business of providing security, and if you’re able to keep ahead of any possible threats to that security, then you should have no qualms about investing in doing your SEO.
Below are 50 tips for improving your SEO as a locksmith!
1. Remember that you don’t need to have a business website to do your SEO.
If you’re part of a franchise, then the main locksmith page will be ranking for your name and location while staying at the top of Google’s search rankings. Make sure that this page is filled with great content by having an FAQ section and robust contact information.
2. Remember that your website is only one part of your online marketing strategy.
You should also be on Google+, Twitter, Facebook, Yelp, Craigslist, and any other social network that has local listings. This will help you with SEO because it allows more content about your business to rank higher in the search rankings for your name and location.
3. Remember that it’s always better to get links from other websites than to build them yourself.
If you can get links from reputable sites that have a high domain authority then Google will take note and rank your website higher in the search rankings. For example, if someone has written an article about locksmithing and they mention your business as a source for this helpful information, then Google will be much more likely to rank you higher in the search rankings.
4. Remember that you should always check your website’s loading speed using a tool like optymizer or Google’s PageSpeed Insights.
The faster your website loads, the better it is for your SEO.
5. Remember that you should always check your website’s code using a tool like W3C or JSLint to make sure it isn’t broken in any way.
Broken code will confuse Google and may lead them to believe that you’re trying to deceive users by having spammy links on your site, which will get your website penalized and de-ranked in the search results.
6. Remember that you should always include pictures on your site’s pages, especially if they help to describe what you’re talking about.
Google does not rank sites that only have text very highly; it tends to prefer sites with both text and images at a 1:1 ratio.
7. Remember that you should always include videos on your site’s pages if they’re appropriate for what you’re talking about.
Not only will it rank higher in the search results, but Google is also known to have a preference for video content over written content, so including videos on your website can be very beneficial for your SEO.
8. Remember that you should always use social media sites to promote some of your content and drive traffic to your website.
A great example of this is the “lock bumping” video we created and posted on YouTube (youtube.com/intent/watch?v=9mz_JWLwIIs) The video was very popular and helped to get the word out about our locksmith services. As a result, people were coming to us for lock bumping jobs instead of continuing to call our competitors.
9. Remember that you should always have links between your site’s pages so that Google can better understand what your website is all about.
For example, if you’re writing an article about how your locksmith business has changed over the years due to new technologies like smart key coding or laser car keys, then make sure that there are links on this page that help Google understands what other pages on your website might be about.
10. Remember that you should always proofread your content before you publish it.
Your content will not rank as high in the search results if users feel like they’re reading spammy or unprofessional text, so be careful to proofread and re-proofread your work until you can be certain that Google will see your website as a reputable source of information.
11. Remember that you should always use a mobile-friendly theme for your site.
Google has been known to rank mobile-friendly websites higher in the search results, so make sure that if people are searching on their mobile devices then they will be able to find your website’s pages quickly and easily.
12. Remember that you should always have a blog on your site and make sure to keep it updated regularly.
By writing blog posts and sharing them with customers and potential customers through social media, you can show Google that your website is an active one that people want to visit often.
13. Remember that you should always use HTTPS for your site’s pages if you haven’t already done so.
Google has been known to rank HTTPS-secured websites higher in the search results, so if you’re not using HTTPS on your site then it might be time to implement it.
14. Remember that you should always include keywords and phrases throughout your website’s pages whenever possible.
For example, if you’re talking about an article like “key duplication,” then make sure that the phrase “key duplication” appears somewhere in the content of your page.
15. Remember that you should always take advantage of online articles, blog posts, and social media posts when you’re doing SEO for your locksmith business.
As stated above, Google has been known to rank websites higher in the search results if they have a lot of high-quality content on them, so make sure to write lots of well-written articles and post them online. This will increase your ranking not only with Google but also with other search engines like Bing and Yahoo, which makes it easier for people to find information about your business even if they don’t know how to spell “locksmith.”
16. Remember that you should never use Flash or other outdated multimedia files on your website’s pages.
While these kinds of files can be used to make great websites, Google doesn’t know how to read them and thus won’t rank them very well in the search results. If you must include videos or other multimedia content, then modernize yourself (and your site) by using HTML5 video instead of Flash.
17. Remember that you should always insert keywords into your URLs whenever possible so that Google knows what articles are about before it even reads them.
For example, if you’re writing an article for locksmiths about car key cutting services then you’ll want to name it something like this: “car-keys-cutter-service-locksmiths.html” so that Google can figure out what your article is about before it even starts reading it.
18. Remember that you should always include high-quality photos on your website’s pages whenever possible to help give more information about the content of your articles.
The more pictures, videos, and other multimedia content you have on your site, the better-ranked your website will be in Google’s search results. This is because users are increasingly using their mobile devices to browse for information on Google websites, and these kinds of low-data browsing capabilities don’t tend to support a lot of text analysis – images speak volumes!
19. Remember that you should always use a key tag or QR code generator when uploading keys to the cloud.
This will give you extra information about how your keys are being used, which increases customer satisfaction levels and allows you to provide better key-cutting services in the future since you’ll have more data on hand for future projects.
20. Remember that you should always call ahead before visiting a customer’s site so that they know who is coming and can prepare accordingly.
It might be nice to just show up whenever at all of your customer’s sites, but it makes people feel uneasy when someone unexpectedly shows up at their home or business without warning them first, especially if this person has come to conduct locksmith services with them!
21. Remember that you should always pay attention to social media networks like Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and so on.
These are all great places to share information about your business with potential customers because they’re free! Just be sure to fill out your profiles completely with well-written messaging that compliments the kind of work that you do.
22. Remember that you should always visit social media sites like Yelp or Foursquare for customer reviews before going into a new locksmith project.
These kinds of review sites are great ways to quickly get information from customers who have used your business in the past and can tell you what they thought without wasting too much time as traditional word-of-mouth might waste.
23. Remember that you should always try to optimize images by simplifying them and keeping only the relevant parts in a single image.
Large, high-resolution images can be difficult to load and slow down your website’s response time while Google is trying to analyze it, which will reduce your rankings across the board. Cut down on images by simplifying them so that they take up less space without losing too much detail through compression or other methods.
24. Remember that you should always try to use descriptive messages with SEO copywriting whenever possible because keywords tell Google what kind of message this is supposed to be.
When writing messages for customers online, don’t just repeat their questions back at them a word from the word – write messages based around a keyword or phrase that describes what this person is asking about and try to include a few sentences about how your business can help them solve their problem.
25. Remember that you should always try to write articles for online audiences because they make up a large part of your customer base these days.
Although offline advertising might still work decently, it’s far less popular than writing content and publishing it on websites like Facebook or Google+ for free where everyone in the world with Internet access will be able to read it! This is great exposure!
26. Remember that you should always aim to solve customer problems at scale through automation whenever possible because this will maximize productivity while minimizing cost and labor requirements.
An example of solving a problem at scale would be creating an automated phone system so people calling in don’t have to wait when they call in to get their problem solved!
27. Remember that you should always add content to your website whenever possible because the more unique content there is, the better Google (or other search engines) will rank your site for different keywords.
When writing new articles, make sure each article has at least 1000 words, and try to fit it around a given keyword phrase or idea so that you can maximize how much exposure it gets while increasing its keyword ranking potential at the same time.
28. Remember that you should always optimize images by uploading them with descriptive file names.
This will give Google important information about what the image shows within the filename itself without wasting too much time on extra research traditional web crawling might take up.
29. Remember that you should always create links from your website to various online profiles as a way of driving traffic back to your page.
Before publishing a given article on Google+, for example, link it from your blog or website so people can share it and help increase their exposure!
30. Remember that you should always try to streamline the process by increasing conversion rates whenever possible because this will mean more sales which means increased revenue!
An example of conversion optimization would be changing around the presentation of the information customers see on their screens when they call into your business through an automated phone system – use colors that stand out against each other, change font styles and text sizes and try to convey important information effectively keeping things simple at the same time.
31. Remember that you should always try to use promotion codes whenever possible because they make it easy to track what’s working and what isn’t from a conversion standpoint, which is extremely important.
When trying out different products or services for your business, give each one a unique promotion code so that if it works well, you’ll know which products or services are the most useful!
32. Remember that you should always list all of your social media profiles wherever possible because this will drive traffic back to your website quickly and easily as long as people remember to find them.
Before publishing a blog article on Google+, link it from there back to your business’ Facebook page or Twitter profile so people can share it with friends and followers – this is a great way to expand your online reach while increasing awareness of how many places you have available for people to visit!
33. Remember that you should always try to get customer reviews whenever possible because positive feedback helps generate a more positive image for the company in general!
A great example would be asking customers on Google+ after they’ve had a given product or service installed whether they’d be willing to leave their review of the business there – it’s quick, easy, and extremely helpful for new visitors looking for validation that doing business with you is a good idea.
34. Remember that you should always put together press releases whenever possible because this will create more exposure from traditional sources like TV, radio, and newspapers which still have a lot of power!
An example of a positive press release would be publishing information about updates to your website, new products or services you’ve installed, or new company locations – don’t forget to include links back to your site so people can find out more!
35. Remember that you should always try to keep up with trends in technology whenever possible because it can help you make decisions like when it’s time for an upgrade on the products and services you offer.
For example, if many companies are starting to use security cameras based on cloud computing technology instead of traditional analog wired feeds, then perhaps it might be time for you to start thinking about replacing your old analog cameras with new ones too!
36. Remember that you should always try to incorporate business tracking services whenever possible because this will enable you to compare results against one another which might reveal trends you didn’t notice before.
An example of a business tracking service would be Google Analytics – you can keep track of various conversion rates, click rates, and other important values so that when you leave your computer for the day, you’ll know how things are going at all hours in real-time!
37. Remember that you should always check for broken links any time a blog post or article is written on your site because this can prevent people from visiting pages that are no longer available or are filled with dead-end links!
An example of a broken link would be using an old domain name that no longer exists – checks any possible incoming links before publishing to make sure they still point to active pages!
38. Remember that you should always try to optimize your blog’s permalinks whenever possible because this will increase the chances of someone (who might not be already familiar with what it is) finding out about your company in general.
An example of optimizing blog permalinks? Using keywords like “locksmith tips” or “tips on locksmithing” when creating web page titles can help drive traffic directly towards helpful information for people who are looking for it online, making them more likely to hire you in the future!
39. Remember that you should always try to improve your search engine results whenever possible because this will enable you to offer better service, faster!
An example of improving your SEO would be using H1 tags throughout your website – this can help guide visitors through the most relevant pages with ease, making them even more likely to call on your locksmithing services in the future!
40. Remember that you should always adjust for exposure whenever possible because higher visibility means selling more locksmithing products and services which directly impacts how much money you make in the long run.
An example of adjusting for exposure would be entering into Google AdWords programs like “Google Places” or “Google AdWords Express” – being proactive about trying to get the word out there is extremely beneficial because it can bring new leads you might never have known otherwise into your business!
41. Remember that you should always integrate local social media whenever possible because this will help drive more traffic to your online presence, whether on Google or elsewhere, which leads directly to sales!
An example of integrating social media would be setting up a “Facebook for Business Page” – creating an official-looking page allows people who are browsing on Facebook to find out more about the products and services you offer which increases visibility on both sides!
42. Remember that you should always try to use high-quality graphics wherever possible because this will help attract more viewers than low-quality images ever could since poor graphic design can turn off some users immediately.
An example of using high-quality graphics would be using custom images for your products that are eye-catching and interesting – this can help guide people who land on your site directly to what they’re looking for, making them more likely to purchase in the future once they’ve found something they like!
43. Remember that you should always check your email signatures whenever possible because this is another way of getting your name out there which will build up brand recognition over time (and maybe even turn some prospective clients into actual ones!)
An example of checking email signatures? On any messaging service like Gmail or Yahoo, having an official-looking signature block at the end with your business’s logo, address, phone number, fax number, website URL, opening hours/days of operation, and other important details can be helpful because it makes you look like a legitimate, trusted company that people might be more willing to work with if the opportunity arises!
44. Remember that you should always try to use an open graph whenever possible because this will help guide people on Facebook towards your site – after all, one of the easiest ways for anyone to search for your company/products is through social media so why not make it easy for them?
An example of using an open graph would be including meta tags on your pages – these are important pieces of information that tell various social media platforms how to properly present any web page they find on the internet and encourage users who land on those pages to share with their friends or followers.
45. Remember that you should always optimize your images whenever possible because this will help with local SEO – having more views on your site can indicate to search engines that it’s a high-quality, relevant website which means you’ll rank higher in the future!
An example of optimizing images would be including ALT tags on each image that describe what is happening in the picture – for example, instead of “woman looking at her phone”, try something like “beautiful woman looking at her cell phone” – this will make your site seem more humanized and interesting rather than robotic or boring!
46. Remember that you should always create content whenever possible because creating new information gives Google an excuse to keep sending people back to your site which leads directly to increased sales!
An example of creating content? Posting blogs to your website regularly is a great way to get more eyes on your business and show people that you’re an authority in the field! Whether or not there’s anything new to say, it won’t hurt to write about old topics from time to time if the information has never been posted online before – this will help create buzz around your site which can attract even more users!
47. Remember that you should always try to use Schema whenever possible because this helps Google understand what every page of your site contains which allows them to serve up relevant search results when someone enters an appropriate query, therefore increasing traffic to your site!
An example of using Schema would be including structured data markup in any local business listings – these days, people generally search on Google more than they do any other website so it’s important to be able to get your site in front of anyone.
48. Remember that you should always try to include videos whenever possible because this will help with YouTube SEO – having more views on your videos can indicate to search engines that it’s a high-quality video which means you’ll rank higher!
An example of including videos would be uploading new product features on YouTube (or 3rd party sites) for people to discuss/explore – after all, what better way is there for someone to learn about the benefits of using your products than by hearing it straight from another user?
49. Remember that you should always try to use Google Analytics whenever possible because this allows you to get a better idea of who is visiting your site and how they got there (for example, did someone find your site by searching for it directly or were they sent by Facebook?) – having more information means that you can make the appropriate changes to improve your SEO!
An example of using Google Analytics would be adding content like “Sign up for our newsletter” and including links back to the appropriate page on your website to help increase viewership on sign-up pages.
50. Remember that you should always try to add links whenever possible because this helps Google figure out if any given web page is relevant or not, allowing them to then send additional users that might be interested in such material – having more people on your site can lead directly to increased sales!
An example of adding links? If you’re struggling with setting up ad campaigns, try including words like “advertising” or “sales inquiries” whenever possible because this will help potential clients realize that it’s no problem for you to set up an appropriate marketing campaign.
Locksmiths need to keep up with SEO because it can help them rank higher in Google search results.
If you want your business website to be found more often, then consider some of the tips we covered today!
Keep in mind that there is no one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to optimizing a site so don’t feel like you need to apply every single tip on this list – just use what will work best for your company and see how much better your traffic numbers are after implementing these proven techniques.